I am a runner. I love the adrenaline, the challenge, the feeling of fit. In the midst of the Olympics (how AWESOME is the human body at it’s peak!?!) I have spent time pondering the “whys” of exercise. Granted, I was sitting lazily on the couch while Michael Phelps powered through the water, Gabby Douglas flew through the air with speed and agility, and the women marathoners finished at break-neck speeds. But my brain was working really hard. :)
I may not be an Olympian. Or even close to one at that. I face my own challenges, follow my own training schedules, and push my body to it’s limits. It’s not always easy. Or pretty. In fact, more often than not, I turn tomato red in the face and I’m pretty stinky when all is said and done. Not to mention being sore post-workout. SO WHY DO I RUN?
1) HEALTH: I feel so much better when I run! I feel strong, light on my feet, and more energetic, like an improved version of me. I bounce up and down the stairs, play more with my children and am more willing and eager to go enjoy the beautiful mountains that surround Salt Lake. I can better meet the demands of daily life. Cholesterol is great. Blood pressure is better. Weight is down. Fantastic.
2) THERAPY: When I hit the road running, all I have is my ipod and the scenery giving me a perfect opportunity to clear my thoughts and refocus. The longer the run the better.
3) STRESS BUSTER: When life gets intense, as it often does, I run. There is no better way for me to burn off some steam and come home level headed. When my middle child was 2, I was having a bit of a rough day when he looked up at me and said “Mommy exercise?” Kids are so perceptive!
4) OUTDOORS: Running gets me outside! Fresh air, sunshine, chirping birds, blooming flowers, fall leaves, crunchy snow, waving to neighbors, off road trails, scenic runs through the mountains or on the beach- the world is waiting for you to explore it, one step at a time.
5) FRIENDSHIP: Outings with my running besties are fabulous adventures- can’t even tell you how many giggle fits Somer and I have had. A running buddy is a friend through and through, no conversation left unturned, the more miles the better. And a true friend knows when to talk, when to listen to steady foot falls, and when to power on the music. More running friends always welcome.
6) CHALLENGE: I love a good challenge. A new obstacle to face, a new course, a new distance- just because I am a grown up doesn’t mean I should stay stagnant. Sometimes running hurts. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is hop out of bed early to run when my bed is so cozy. By pushing through those tough moments I become stronger mentally and in the long run, physically.
7) MEMORIES: Call me crazy, but some of my fondest memories have been while running! Running in pouring rain (talk about cleansing!), running under the full moon, the silence of running on fresh snow at 6am when most of the world is still curled up in bed and sounds are dampened, taking my boys on a 5k run with Holi festival chalk exploding in the air, wildlife sightings, and visiting with cherished running friends as the miles melt away… All of these moments are close to my heart, beautiful memories I can’t wait to make more of.
Take it from me, running rocks!
Get off the couch today, it is SO worth it.
PS- I haven’t always been able to run. After my 2nd baby I found myself horribly out of shape and 65 lbs over my goal weight. I huffed and puffed only walking a mile. I was depressed and tired and just plain sick of being depressed and tired. On my next mile walk I ran one block. Then two the day after. Little by little, block by block, I built up my miles and dropped the pounds. You can do it to. You are worth it.
And finally, a giveaway. My all time favorite pre-workout energizer! No synthetic sweeteners, natural vegan ingredients. And just plain awesome.
Rules of Engagement:
1- You must be a follower of this blog, if you don’t know how to do that, there is a “Follow blog via email” button at the top column to the right. This contest is open to all followers, ALL AROUND THE WORLD. Can you feel the love?
2- You must like this post (click on the title name of this post, then go to the bottom of the post just above comments and push the like button),
3- You must tell me in the comments below what keeps you moving!
Giveaway ends Monday, August 13.